_

Pages - Menu

Monday, February 16, 2015

Avocado, Spinach and Fried Egg Breakfast Sandwich.


Avocado.
I've hated avocado all my life. They're green, they're mushy, they just creeped me the fuck out..
..Until about a month ago.
 
I don't know what changed, but now I'm eating avocado pretty much every day.
I've been having it in salads and wraps, in sandwiches and on toast, but my all time favourite way to eat avocado lately is in this (healthy!) breakfast sandwich. It's super easy to whip up in less than 10 minutes, it's good for you, it keeps you feeling full, and most importantly, tastes amazing!
..'cause let's face it, that's all I really care about anyways.

 All you need is:
  • Two slices of bread; Any bread. I use multigrain but go for your life.
  • Half a ripe avocado; A whole avocado will make two sandwiches. If you're particularly peckish, just double all other ingredients.
  • A large handful of fresh spinach.
  • 1 egg.
  • 1 teaspoon of butter. Oil or even water is fine if you're a healthy little thing.
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped for those who like to party.
  • Salt & pepper to taste.



The beauty of this recipe is it's simplicity (we all know how lazy I am).
 Start off by lightly toasting your bread. Woah, slow down there, sista.
 
While your bread is getting all toasty, heat 1 teaspoon of butter in a frying pan.
Once melted, fry your garlic on low heat until tender and fragrant. You can skip this step if you're lame if you're not as in love with garlic as I am. Once your garlic ready, place your spinach in the pan and coat with that delicious buttery garlic-ness. Leave until wilted.
 

While your spinach is cooking away, scoop the inside of your avocado out and in to a bowl where you'll smoosh that bad boy, guacamole style.
Did I mention this recipe was therapeutic? Work out all dat anger, girl.
I like to add salt to the avocado before I smash it all up because I have an incredibly unhealthy salt addiction, but each to their own.

By the time you've made your guacamole, your toast should be ready and your spinach wilted.
Spread your guacamole over both pieces of your toast like you would butter and lay your spinach on top of one of those slices. This'll be the bottom of your orgasm sandwich.
 

The frying pan you used to cook your spinach should still have some buttery goodness in it.
Turn up the heat and fry your egg to your preference - I like me some runny, sunny side up action, but cook it however you please.
Add salt and pepper if you're looking for a good time and place on top of your spinach bed once it's done.
 

 
Put the lid on your creation and hey presto, you've got yourself a healthy breakfast.
 


 It's really that easy, and a great way to start your day.
I make this every Saturday and then again most Sundays, I love it that much.

I love posting recipes and I hope to post more in the future.
Give this one a go and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Darnit, I just ate dinner not too long ago and now I'm hungry again! (Also just finished off the last of the eggs. Nooo!) I'm gonna have to go restock once the snowpocalypse ends! Glad you stopped hating avocados! They are glorious! (I would grow a forest of them in my future backyard if I could!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE avocados!! This looks delish!!

    Ps. I tagged you in the Beauty Scenario tag! :)

    ♥Natalie

    Yours Truly, NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too good, I promise!!

    Thanks for dat tag, homeslice. I shall do it this week!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I'm in on that avocado forest, girl!
    Our neighbours actually have a tree that weeps over our back fence. Every now and then I'll get one falling over to our side. FREE AVOCADOS - KA-CHING!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you all!

Sharing is Caring!