_

Pages - Menu

Sunday, February 15, 2015

This is a Sensitive Subject.


I don't know how many times I've posted about how sensitive my skin is now, but I'd say we're on at least post number 12 so you know the drill by now: water dries me out, moisturiser oils me up.. I itch, I flake, and as you can imagine, I look damn fiiine whilst doing so..

I know how incredibly common sensitive skin is so I know I'm not alone.
So many things are responsible for sensitive skin it can be almost impossible to narrow down, but I've learned that sensitive skin can easily be dealt with and greatly alleviated with the right kind of daily care and I like to think that over the years, I have somewhat perfected a routine that works for me.



Now before I go on, I am certainly no dermatologist so whenever I have a concern, query, or just need more information I consult this sensitive skin guide* bad boy. Yup, Simple Skincare have compiled a bible of everything you need to know about sensitive skin. Seriously. I've had this guide bookmarked for as long as I can remember and it has been my saviour on many occasions.

These are my top tips for dealing with sensitive skin:

Avoid:
I try my darndest to avoid any products with detergents, alcohols, acids and retinols all of which are too strong for my skin. I avoid synthetic fragrances like they're the plague as my skin gets incredibly irritated by all the fake ickiness. I'll also limit the amount of times I'll use a rough scrub or and exfoliant (1-2 times a month), which further degrade the skin's barrier.

Skin test new products
When on the search for a new skincare product, I'll conduct a skin test before buying. I put a small amount on my skin (from a tester bottle, obvs), for 48 hours to see any reaction.

Moisturise

Having a healthy skin care regime is important for all skin types, but it's paramount that us sensitive skinned gals moisturise daily, since deep moisture is so, so important for restoring the balance of sensitive skin.
It took me a while to find a moisturiser that worked for me, but once I did.. sweet relief; provided I don't use too much that is..
Use an oil-free, lightweight moisturiser that suits your skin, preferably organic.
I use Natural Instinct Daily Moisturiser.

Watch what you eat
Some foods may react adversely on your skin and increase the sensitivity and we all know that healthy eating habits flush out toxins and give you glowing skin; You are what you eat.
Drink lots of water and fresh juices to keep your skin hydrated. This is the most important of beauty tips for sensitive skin.

Wash your face
Always! Especially before bed; it's common sense, really. Not only does it hydrate your skin, but also helps to clean out impurities that might be clogging your pores. You should be careful to properly remove all traces of makeup at the end of each day; any buildup or residue can cause irritation when left overnight.
Now, I'm guilty of having too good of a night out, and pouring myself in to bed at some stupid time in the morning without wiping off what's left of my make-up so, I keep a pack of facial wipes at my bed side. Now no matter the state I'm in, I'm still be able to at least run one over my face before I pass out.

Choose Make-up carefully
Although it's not so much make-up that flares up my sensitivity, rather than skin care products, I still always choose cosmetics that are fragrance free and I try to look for 'no artificial colours' stamped on the label.

Speaking of Make-Up, Minerals are your friend
When it comes to makeup, most dermatologists will point you in the direction of mineral-based formulas, as they tend to be protective and healing for the skin.
But you still have to be on the look out for even natural ingredients and byproducts that might cause irritation, redness, facial eczema or itchiness.

Use a mild cleanser
I stay away from soaps and face washes that contain harsh chemicals and preservatives. Instead, I opt for a natural, hypoallergenic face wash that's gentle on the skin.
I use Natural Instinct Foaming Cleanser

Gentle Toner
I try to avoid using alcohol toners as much as I can. Although surprisingly, my skin doesn't react too badly, the result I get when I dab fresh rose water over my skin instead are much better.

I hope these tips help anyone suffering from sensitive skin!
Do you have any tips yourself?


*I was offered compensation for mentioning Simple Skincare's sensitive skin guide, but all opinions are 100% my own. I do not endorse products or brands I do not support or believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you all!

Sharing is Caring!